Thursday, August 1, 2013

1st hummingbird of the season spotted

I spotted the first hummingbird of the season.  I had been starting to give up hope of having any visitors his year.   But my husband bought me the red feeders I had been talking about for my birthday.  I was hoping that bold red feeders with more prominent red color than just the feeding ports might stand a better chance of attracting the hummingbirds, despite my preference for colors other than red and orange in my garden.

Interestingly the hummingbird, butterflies and majority of pollinators seem to be attracted to a garden bed with coneflowers, globe thistle, swamp milkweed, and daylilies currently blooming.






The new feeder where I am expecting to see that hummingbird is surrounded by plantings purported to be hummingbird favorites:  bee balm (Monarda didyma),  anise hyssop (Agastache), columbine, phlox, lilies and butterfly bush.




I discovered an interesting link that allows people to document their 1st sightings of different species of birds each season.  There are charts available summarizing the months throughout the year individual species are most likely to be seen by counties within Wisconsin.

Wisconsin eBird

No comments:

Post a Comment